Are you traveling for work, vacation, or just have a crazy day and you need a vegan breakfast option for on the go? I feel ya. This is my husband’s situation many days. Sure, I could send him off with overnight oats to eat at his desk or a Dave’s Killer Bread Whole Wheat Everything Bagel to munch on the drive, but the overnight oats require dishes and the bagel can get crumbly and messy. Neither is a great option if you’re blazing into a meeting or meeting with anyone. So, what is a helpful wife supposed to do?? My solution was to find the best vegan breakfast bars that would provide him with enough calories, protein, and fiber to stay satisfied until lunch while meeting nutrition goals. I thought there may be other people in a similar boat who wanted good vegan breakfast options on the road but without actually having to make anything or without having to get a breakfast out. These ___ options are ones that we eat all the time in our family and I’ll tell you exactly why we love them and why I love them as a dietitian.
Vegan Breakfast on the Road
1. Bobo’s Oat Bar – Peanut Butter and JellyBobo’s Oat Bars are some of the most wholesome options for a vegan breakfast out there. They don’t skip on the quality ingredients but also keep it super simple – so the bar is not only tasty but nutritious. Each bar has 380 calories, 4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein and although Bobo’s Oat Bars are small, they are mighty and will keep you satisfied until lunch (even if you have a hefty appetite). I think part of the reason Bobo’s are so satisfying for a vegan breakfast is because they don’t add any filler fibers or isolated protein. The whole food ingredient list really does the trick. These vegan oat bars are not crumbly and are moist enough without having to drink a gallon of liquid with them making them quite perfect for vegan breakfasts on the go. Bobo’s Oat Bars taste a lot like a homemade oat bar treat and sometimes it’s that cozy comfort that is the best way to start our day. However, like I mentioned, Bobo’s has enough protein and fiber from the whole grain oats and peanut butter in this flavor to nourish your body. Peanut allergy? There are several other gluten-free and nut-free Bobo’s Oat Bars. Try Bobo’s Oat Bars for breakfast today and you’ll be happy you did!
Looking for a vegan breakfast bar that’s high in protein, not chalky, but not overly sweet either? GoMacro Macrobars are great options. We have a few favorites in our household but the Blueberry + Cashew Butter really makes breakfast a joy. The bar is a bit sticky and soft (similar but not quite the same texture as a CLIF Bar). Each vegan GoMaco Blueberry + Cashew Butter bar has 10 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and 10 grams of fat. So, I will say that generally speaking we’re looking for fiber to be greater than 3 grams per serving but the nut based bar provides additional fat that will not only help someone meet nutritional needs but helps to stay full longer. Have a heartier appetite? Eat this vegan breakfast bar with a piece of fruit in the morning on your way out the door. Again, this Blueberry + Cashew Butter is one of our favorite flavors, but there are certainly other GoMacro Bar options – check them out HERE.
3. Thunderbird Real Food Energy Bars – Hemp Sunflower Pumpkin SeedThunderbird Real Food Energy Bars are fruit and nut based. That means no protein powders, no added sugar, no fillers, and grain free. These paleo, gluten-free, and vegan bars vary considerably in terms of nutrition content but this Hemp Sunflower Pumpkin Seed one is a favorite simply because it has the highest amount of protein (but just a smidgen, but still). Each vegan breakfast nut based bar has 250 calories, 18 grams of fat, 6 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein without any added sugars to last through your morning – whatever your day throws your way! I really love eating these (and dishing out to my husband) if I know the later part of my day will be more carbohydrate heavy – these bars help balance everything out a bit. Oh, and did I mention that they taste great?! They taste a bajillion times better than other fruit and seed based bars on the market. Find Thunderbird Real Food Bars in the Hemp Sunflower Pumpkin Seed flavor HERE – or check out the other flavor options but I know you’ll love this one.
4. Eat Your Coffee Energy Bar – Fudgy Mocha Latte Flavor So short on time that you also have to skip your morning cup of joe?? If you’re headed out for an early morning flight or meeting, sometimes finding the time for coffee and a vegan breakfast feels like an incredible challenge. The solution? Eat Your Coffee Energy Bars which come in melt in your mouth flavors (like our favorite – the Fudgy Mocha Latte), contain a decent amount of nutrition (4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein), and contain the same amount of caffeine that you can find in a brewed cup of coffee. The best part? The caffeine comes from the coffee beans themselves. That means no weird caffeine additives to help you kickstart your day. In fact, their tag line is “ingredients found in a pantry, not a laboratory.” Eat Your Coffee Energy Bars are vegan and a great breakfast on the go option when you need food and caffeine. Check out the Fudgy Mocha Latte Eat Your Coffee Energy Bar HERE or scope out the other two flavors (Salted Caramel Macchiato and Peanut Butter Mocha)
5. Orgain Simple Organic Protein Bars – Blueberry AlmondHave you tried any of the Orgain protein bars or protein powders? Orgain has a pretty extensive line of both animal based (whey) and plant-based protein bars, shakes, and protein powders. When it comes to conveinent on the go vegan breakfast options, I think the Orgain Simple Organic Protein Bar in the Blueberry Almond is one of the best choices. Some of their other protein bars have a lot of additives and isolated ingredients that can make the bars taste a bit manufactured or fake. The Simple Organic Bars have straightforward ingredients like dates, peanut powder, almond butter, almonds, chia seed protein, and blueberries – that’s about it! Impressively simple and a great way to start your day if you need a vegan breakfast on the go – especially if you’re looking for something with cleaner ingredients. Find Orgain Simple Organic Protein Bars HERE and start looking forward to your vegan breakfast!
6. SHANTI BAR Vegan Organic Superfood Protein Bar – Mango Cashew TurmericWe’ve reviewed SHANTI vegan protein bars in the past, but I think these bars deserve a second look when it comes to vegan breakfasts on the go because they are one of the few protein bar companies out there that uses superfoods like turmeric, goji berries, goldenberries, and maca alongside plant-based power houses like chia seeds, almonds, and brown rice protein. This vegan protein breakfast bar is great if you don’t want to make a mess because it’s not crumbly or melty like some breakfast/protein bars can be. I like to stash one of these bars in my laptop bag or purse when I’m traveling for work because not only will I get grams of fiber and grams of protein, but I feel like I can give my body a bit of an antioxidant boost with the turmeric. I eat turmeric at home all the time, but on the road it can be more challenging and these SHANTI vegan protein bars make it much more do able.
Welp, there you have it …. 6 vegan breakfast options that will help nourish your body but sometimes what feels more important – will help keep you satisfied until lunch time. Whether you’re traveling for work, have a busy morning, or have to catch an early meeting, these vegan breakfast options are perfect for on the go. They aren’t crumbly or messy so you can stay presentable and prepare to tackle the world!