There are many protein powder options out there and when it comes to pregnancy, you may be wondering if there are certain ingredients you should avoid or stay away from or other ingredients that would be great to include. As a plant-based registered dietitian with one vegan babe (and an entire vegan pregnancy) under my belt, I’m here to share with you the best 8 vegan protein powders for pregnancy and why I think that is. Grab a glass of water and continue to read on to find your favorite one to try next (or maybe the one you’re already using is on here)!
8. Garden of Life Meal Replacement Vanilla Powder – With an increased protein need during pregnancy, consuming one serving of the Garden of Life Meal Replacement Protein Powder has a whopping 20 grams of protein with over 44 different fruits, vegetables, and whole foods to provide wholesome nutrition to you and your growing baby. Unlike many other vegan protein powders, Garden of Life is a well established company that has been around for a really long time and personally I felt like I could trust them more than a newer company in terms of quality ingredients. The vegan protein powder is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free and if you are having any digestive issues during pregnancy, you’ll find 1.5 billion probiotics and digestive enzymes to help create more ease. Find Garden of Life Meal Replacement Vegan Protein Powder for Pregnancy HERE.
7. Amazing Grass Protein Superfood: Organic Vegan Protein Powder, Plant Based Meal Replacement Shake – Made from whole foods, the Amazing Grass Vegan Protein Powder has 7 different dark green vegetables plus an additional 9 fruits and vegetables with 2 servings of fruits and vegetables per serving in combination with 20 grams of plant-based protein! So if you’re looking for more than just protein to add to your vegan pregnancy, I think Amazing Grass can be a great option. Amazing Grass also has Alfalfa, spirulina, acai, and chlorella superfoods to help nutritionally boost your pregnancy. Find Amazing Grass Protein Powder HERE.
6. BN Labs Organic Vegan Protein Powder – With a whopping 21 grams of plant-based vegan protein without added sugars or additives, BN Labs is another great vegan protein powder for your pregnancy. The protein powder is manufactured in a facility that tests the powder’s heavy metal and nutrient content before sending it out to consumers. It’s a safe option that also tastes great with 3 different vegan proteins including pea, pumpkin, and brown rice protein. Although you should be taking a DHA supplement during pregnancy, there is also omega-3 fatty acids in BN Labs Protein Powder from the flaxseeds. Get your hands on BN Labs Organic Vegan Protein Powder HERE.
5. Alaya Naturals Organic Plant Based Protein Powder – What I love most about Alaya is that their protein blend isn’t necessarily anything different or unique but they offer fantastic customer support with a risk-free shopping experience – if you aren’t completely satisfied with your Alaya vegan plant-based protein powder, they will offer a money back guarantee. This protein powder is organic, non-GMO with a protein blend and digestive enzymes to help get the most out of the nutrition. Alaya also contains spirulina which can be helpful in pregnancy to help provide protein, maintain hemoglobin levels, remove free radicals, and the chlorophyll can help remove other toxins in the body in a safe and gentle way. Find Alaya vegan protein powder here and add to your favorite shake or drink with milk to help nutritionally boost your pregnancy.
4. Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder – Orgain is a company that has been around the plant-based protein powder market for awhile and now not only can you find protein powders but you can also find protein meal bars and vegan protein snack bars. One scoop contains 21 grams of protein with 5 grams of fiber to help keep you full and satisfied with that constant pregnancy hunger. There are not any added sugars and the vegan protein powder is non-GMO and organic. If you haven’t tried Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein yet, check out the over 8500 reviews on Amazon and you’ll know I’m not alone in recommending this vegan protein powder!
3. Birdman Falcon Protein, Organic Plant Based Powder – This easy to digest vegan protein powder contains a blend of organic pea protein, organic brown rice protein, organic quinoa sprout, and uniquely sacha inchi powder along with a few other plant-based protein option. This variety of vegan proteins makes it taste quite delicious and provides a variety of added minerals and vitamins for you and your growing baby. The vegan protein powder is certified organic and non-GMO to help ease your worries about the quality of ingredients you’re putting into your body. Find Birdman Falcon Protein HERE.
2. Blue Diamond Almonds Almond Protein Powder – If you’re of a minimalist, simplistic sort of attitude, you will likely appreciate Blue Diamond Almonds Almond Vegan Protein Powder with only 4 ingredients (almond protein, sea salt, natural flavors, monk fruit extract) in the vanilla flavor. This protein powder doesn’t have added vitamins, minerals, or sugar but if you’re simply looking for added vegan protein in your pregnancy, it can be a great option that mixes well into a variety of liquids. Find Blue Diamond Almond Protein Powder HERE.
1. KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder – KOS has been a brand I’ve been recommending to vegan pregnant clients and friends for awhile now given that it tastes amazing (and every mama deserves to eat something that is good for your body and tastes good!). KOS uses a protein blend including all organic, non-GMO pea, flax seed, quinoa, pumpkin seed, and chia seed protein for an easy to digest vegan protein powder during pregnancy. Similarly, you’ll find a great combination of digestive enzymes that can help ease any potential tummy troubles. Try out KOS Organic plant-based protein powder in your vegan pregnancy in a smoothie with a banana, dates, and almond/peanut butter and you’ll want one everyday!
There you have it! Eight of the very best vegan protein powders for moms to be that help provide additional protein, vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids. All of these vegan protein powders can be consumed mixed into water, plant-based milk, or a smoothie. Personally, I found a dollop of peanut butter with 3-4 dates, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop protein powder, and a handful of ice to be a fantastic flavor and nutrition combination. Try it with one of these protein powders and let me know that you think!