As a vegan dietitian, I work with all sorts of people – from those who are transitioning to a vegan diet to those who have been at it for awhile but just want to make sure their needs are being met.
I find that when people first start out eating vegan, they can get really confused about what foods are vegan and what foods are not. One of the foods I get asked about is salsa on a plant-based vegan diet….”Is Salsa Vegan?”
To which I resound with an, “absolutely, yes!”
However that’s not the full story. Below are a few vegan salsa options. Note that traditional salsas will be vegan without any animal products or dairy, but if it’s a creamy salsa or creamy anything, it’s likely got milk in it (unless the salsa/sauce says vegan on the label).
6 Vegan Salsa Options
- Sadie’s of New Mexico Hot Salsa – This ginormous container is great for a family or if you’re like me and my husband and you just go through a lot of salsa on burrito bowls, taco salads, and with chips!
- Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa, Medium (Pack of 2) – I love this organic salsa because it’s organic and it’s mild spice level makes it a great option when serving tacos or chips and salsa to a group of friends or family.
- Amazon Brand – Solimo – Traditional Mild Salsa – It’s bizarre to me that Amazon has it’s own brand of so many products from socks to sponges to salsa! Because this is an Amazon brand on the Amazon platform, the cost is a bit lower than some other options.
- Pace Chunky Salsa, Medium – This classic salsa is naturally vegan and a great choice for you plant-based recipes and vegan lifestyle!
- Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa To Go, 3.8 Ounce (Pack of 30) – Need individual containers of salsa for work or school lunches? Or camping/road trips? Tostitos vegan salsa has the answer with these portable single-serving containers.
- Mateo’s Gourmet Salsa -Medium– and last but not least…if you’re looking for a solid all around salsa that has great flavor and great texture, Mateo’s is the way to go! This has been my favorite vegan salsa for years and years and it never disappoints!
There you have it! Yes, salsa is generally vegan and here are 6 amazing salsa options for all of your bean burritos, cashew cheese nachos, seitan burrito bowl, cauliflower tacos, or whatever else your little vegan heart dreams up!